Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

Wow. I don't even know what to think...what to say...what to hope for. I only have a few minutes, so here's the quick version:

B's dad called to tell me that he had heard from our son. I told him that I had, too. B's dad sounds distraught over issues that have nothing to do with out son. He said that B moving with him, to Oregon "was not an option". What can I say?

I feel pity for B's father. It's hard to believe that the man that I spent 17 years of my life with is such a stranger. He is going through some really tough times, and there is nothing I can do for him. 'Nuff said.

This morning, B called me just as I had parked at work. I was 5 minutes early. He sounded in good spirits. He told me that he was leaving the treatment center today. He said he "feels great" and he said he didn't really "use" all that much.

I asked where he would be today, and he didn't have an answer. He said "probably an SLE". He has no money, and he didn't ask me for any.

B's 20th birthday is this Saturday. I told him that I'd like to celebrate it with him. His voice seemed to brighten and he said that he wanted to play golf with me.

But, he said that he had to go and he hung up.

That's it, for now.

I'm on hold. I think of my son all day long. I have no idea what's next. I can only pray that it's all good.

-Mom

No comments: