Thursday, November 20, 2008

Phone calls in the middle of the night

I go to sleep no later than 9:30pm. So, when the phone rang at 12:30am, I was filled with dread and fear. As soon as I sleepily said "hello", my son blurted out to me "Mom, you wont' believe what just happened to me!!"

"Tell me', I thought in a total panic.

"I just got robbed by knifepoint."

As a mom, let me stop right here. Images of my son's photos, in my hallway, flashed into my head. My son's elementary school picture-- with his then golden blonde hair neatly combed and gleaming brace... his high school photo of him, standing tall with a beautiful smile. That's what flashed into my panicked mind-- that someone had endangered my precious boy. Mama Bear's cub was attacked and I went into protective mode.

I was instantly awake and I could hear his voice trembling. Again? What is going on in my son's life? February 2006, he was carjacked and robbed. Months later, he was robbed at gunpoint (though I wonder what missing paragraphs are in this particular situation0. This year, his car was totalled on the freeway. A few weeks later, he had another car accident with minor damage. A few weeks ago, his car was totalled by an elderly man--this time, it was not my son's fault.

Last night, he was robbed at knifepoint in an alley in San Francisco around midnight. Why does so much drama happen in my son's life?

Yes, I know... what in the world was he doing in the wrong place, at the wrong time? B is a Night Owl. He said that he was hungry, and that he walked down to Subway Sandwiches (he has a gift card from me). It was closed, he found out once he schlepped down the hill. On the way back, he says a big "dude' came out of a dark alley and showed the knife and demanding his wallet.

His story reminds me of the classic movie "The Out of Towner's" with Jack Lemmon. If you've seen the movie, then you know what I'm talking about. It's about a married couple from Ohio. The husband is flying to New York City for a job interview-- but nothing goes right. They are robbed, conned and go through all kinds of nightmares.

Obviously, my son has a lot to learn about living in a bit city-- and he has a lot to learn about carrying ALL of his cash with him. He had just cashed his weekly allowance (from his trust account) that would pay for his groceries and a monthly bus pass.

What could I do? I laid in bed, wide awake, and thanked God for sparing my son's life. For a moment, I wondered if my son made up the story. But, my motherly instinct could tell that he was not faking this one. Just like when he was carjacked-- I had a close friend accuse my son of faking that so that he could get a new car. His story never changed, even with police investigators. In the end, one of the perpetrators confessed to the crime. My son's story was true.

I am discouraged, in reading today's newspaper. Unemployment is higher than it's been in 16 years. We are in a deep financial crisis and feel so blessed that I have a job. I am unsure what my son's future holds.

Is he staying clean? I have no idea. He is 2 hours north of me. I can only hope that he's telling me the truth. I don't want to lose hope, but it is so frustrating at all the setbacks and drama that my son seems to be a magnet for.

His driver's license was up for renewal, anyway. I cancelled the Subway card. He cancelled his debit card. But, he lost $150.00 in this robbery.

Lord, I pray for the person who commited such a violent and desperate act on an innocent victim. Thank you for sparing my son's life. Lord, you saw what happened. I pray that my son's experience will teach him how to take more careful measures in a big city. I pray that you, Lord, will deal with this person's crime in Your own way.


One day at a time... I'm just thankful that my son gets another sunrise as a gift of life.

Mom

No comments: