Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Stinkin' Thinkin'

While my son was in treatment for his drug addiction, he gave me an article he wanted me to read. It was called "Stinkin' Thinkin".

I've been thinking about that article, and how my own Stinkin' Thinkin' has been affecting me.
I have allowed my son's addiction to take up too much of my thought processes. How can I put aside the fact that I have my one and only child living 2 hours away from me? How can I not slip into worrying about him. I catch myself wondering if he's going to meetings, or has he allowed his own Stinkin' Thinkin' to convince himself that meetings aren't important.

My son has only had a tad over 60 days of not using oxycontin, or any other kind of opiates. That is not long, at all. He has a lot of financial pressure, and he is feeling the need to find a job very soon. He has already seen some of his new "friends" from his recovery center go into relapse. It is understandable how drugs became my son's outlet in dealing with the struggles in life.

I have my own Stinkin' Thinkin' to take a look at. I've noticed that I have missed two recovery group meetings, and I missed going to church last Sunday-- I was so wiped out, that I needed to sleep in late.

That's not a good idea, for me. If I don't stay committed in my prayer and spiritual life, I find that my own negative thoughts begin to take over. I really do need to get back into working my own 12-Step program.

I'm also experiencing writer's block, and that's not me at all. With that said, that is all I can think of to write today.

"Mom"

No comments: